Tuesday, October 03, 2006

busy busy

so, i think i've said that I work for a family who owns two funeral homes, one big one and one small. I work at the small one. (I also repeat myself, cuz I have a short term memory thing, so I could've said this ten times or maybe none). Last month was the slowest in the history of the world and we only took nine first calls. My FD, Schewan, is out of town on her own family (near) death experience, so it's mostly me with back up from the other home (it needs a name, we call it The, oh wait, I can't tell you that, let's you and I call it The Yard, since it has a cemetery attached.) Ok, today is Tuesday, Oct 3rd and when I went home today we had received our seventh call since I got there yesterday morning. AWESOME! Not that people died, but that they died and came to ME! and as a result I feel challenged for the first time since I've been working here. Challenged as far as work quality. What makes it even better and ten times more fun is that one of the cases is a Mexican shipout. The decedent is from Mexico, we'll be sending him back for burial next week. Everything has to be translated, everything goes thru the consulate, it's so far a lot of work and I'm not entirely sure I can pull it off, but it's such a welcome diversion for me. Maybe sometimes I miss my semiconductor-thought-processing, the mental work, the constant juggling and multi-tasking. I miss the excitement of the stress, as stupid as that sounds. So here's a little taste of it again!
there is a down-side, sort of, well I don't know if it is or it isn't. But I had two firsts today; one that rocked me to the core of my being and the second was the realization that there was no time to deal with the first so I needed to put it aside for future processing. I was able to put it aside until now, of course when it's time for bed and I'm home alone. Somehow I'm not yet ready for the processing, although I'm scared that if I don't, I'll wake up haunted. I'm also scared that no matter whether I begin trying to deal with it now or whether I stuff it back away until another time, I'll still wake up haunted. So I'll go to bed. I'll pray for the family and I'll pray for a quietness within and a reminder that the body is simply a temporary house for a soul.

No comments: