Friday, March 17, 2006

End of my third week

So, last night I'm at a friend's house and as it seems to be happening lately, talk turns to my new job. People are strangely fascinated. Well, one guy tells me that a friend of his just committed suicide. He said the guy had been happily married and was his coworker, great husband, great dad. Then he quit the job to open his own business, which was very successful. Well, at some point he started using drugs, "running with loose women", and life went bad for him quickly. Lost his business, marriage, respect from peers. Several years later he decided to take a dive off a rocky cliff. As my friend talked, I realized it was the foot viewing. I didn't know what to say, but he realized I knew who he was talking about. I didn't handle it very well, as I wasn't as sensitive as I should have been. I asked if it had indeed been determined to be a suicide, as it was unclear earlier in the week if it accidental, suicide, or homicide. He said as far as he knew it was suicide. Perhaps the family found a note, he didn't know. I kind of panicked, because I didn't want him to ask me more than he really wanted to know, so I changed the subject quickly. Later, I felt bad, because he may have needed to talk about it, but I just didn't know what to say. I thought back about how his face clouded up and I knew he wanted to ask more, but I couldn't tell him what I knew. It was weird.

No comments: